Saturday, March 28, 2015

Goodness is Good

Why do people do what they do?

When I watch an individual take a stack of clothing and walk out of the store without paying, I wonder what makes that person think that shoplifting is a good idea?

When I hear of a pilot intentionally flying a plane full of passengers into the side of a mountain, I wonder what makes that pilot think that not only taking his own life, but the life of 150 strangers is a good idea?

When I hear small children using profanity, I wonder who thought it was a good idea to let these children not only hear this language, but not correct them when they use it?

When I hear of students using disrespectful language to their teachers, I wonder why that child thinks it is good to behave that way?

I wonder who many are listening to or looking to for a benchmark of what is correct and good.

I've thought about this a lot lately.

I believe that most people believe that they are behaving rationally from their point of view and that their choices are reasonable. I see Satan's influence in society in great abound, and the craftiness he is using to make sinful behavior seem rational and good. It's scary how reasonable he sounds - but he is not.

So, who are you listening to?  "It seems to me that the only safe standard to guide our choice to be good is God. Those who can speak for him, under authority, are holding up the true standard of goodness." (Henry B. Eyring - 'Choose to Be Good')

Tonight, the women in our family have the opportunity to hear God's counsel in the General Women's Broadcast.  This opportunity continues next weekend as we listen to General Conference.  I pray that each of you will take the opportunity to watch, read, review - LISTEN to the words that will be spoken. Look for standards of goodness. Ask yourselves if you are keeping with God's standards. If you are, commit to keeping on God's path.  If you sense you are a little short in some area, commit to do better! :)

Come with questions in your mind and in your hearts.  God knows you and will give you answers if you but ask and listen.

Know who you listen to for guidance on this earth.  Know why you make the choices you do.  Strive to live as our Savior lived.

I love you.  ALL of you are special and meaningful to me.

BE GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment